CHEVY ENGINE COOLANT

1994 Chevrolet Camaro

clarinetflute

July, 31, 2008 AT 1:54 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 223000 miles

My engine is eating coolant. There are no obvious leaks. The coolant is leaking into the engine. There is no water in the oil. I've already had a garage pressure test the cooling system and they found nothing. Every time I make a trip (25 miles) I am out of coolant again. What is going on?

July, 31, 2008 AT 2:11 PM

My engine is eating coolant. There are no obvious leaks. If its not leaking then its being burned-up in the combustion chamber-could mean blown headgasket-cracked head or block-or an intake manifold leak-Is the engine overheating?

clarinetflute

July, 31, 2008 AT 7:39 PM

It's getting up to 250 degrees but not quite overheating. The coolant is disappearing, though, and I am having to add coolant every day now. I should add that it only goes up in temperature when I am in stop and go traffic or stopping with the engine idling.

August, 1, 2008 AT 2:30 PM

Bleed the cooling sysytem and see what happens-

clarinetflute

August, 1, 2008 AT 3:12 PM

I took the car to my trusted mechanic and he solved the big mystery. My fan relay motor was not working properly. So when I was in stop and go traffic and it wasn't running, the car would get hot and the coolant was boiling out of the recovery tank. I am so relieved I don't have to buy a new car right now. I appreciate your input.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230