CHEVY ENGINE BERINGS

1974 Chevrolet Camaro

rbliss

September, 7, 2009 AT 1:31 PM

1974 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 57,000 miles

I through a bering. Not sure if it is the main berring.May only be a lifter bering or cam.Does anyone have a estament for repair? Best and worst case senarios.350ci with modifications.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/406157_HPIM0181_1.jpg

Cam Shaft

1 ANSWER

Cam Shaft

1 ANSWER

Jacobandnickolas

September, 7, 2009 AT 10:21 PM

It is hard to say. If it needs main or rod bearings, the crank needs to come out to be cut or replaced. Basically a complete engine tear down. If that is the case, I would est around 3000.00. Can you describe what you hear, when you hear it, and what the oil pressure looks like?

Also, there are no lifter bearings. There are cam bearings.

rbliss

September, 8, 2009 AT 9:05 AM

Pressure is good on ach cylindar. Around 170psi. It squeels and makes a knocking sound when above idle. When I checked the oil I foung metal shavings in the filter.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 8, 2009 AT 10:15 AM

If the sound is coming from the bottom of the engine, chances are it is a main bearing or rod bearing. The only way to know if to remove the oil pan and use a product called plastigauge. You place it between the bearing, retighten the bearing and then, based on how much it flattens out will tell you where there is too much play.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz