Canister box under truck bed

TMCINTOSH11
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Hello, I have a question about the truck listed above, it is a SuperCrew XLT with a Triton engine. This morning I started hearing something drag after I hit a pretty good size bump, I pulled over and saw it was a metal bracket with a black plastic box attached to it. I had to drive slowly home and as I pulled in the driveway the bracket came off, the canister remains but it dangles. It is obviously a EVAP canister. I found one hose that I think attaches to it but I could not find the other one if there is one. I do not know exactly how to reattach it. I have never messed with this sort of thing before so I left it sit. I do not know if it is okay to drive like this or not. I imagine it has something to do with fuel pressure, the truck still runs good. I think it is slowly starting to miss out a little. So can anybody tell me how to get this back together? I miss my truck! Thank you!
Wednesday, February 7th, 2018 AT 4:08 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

The bracket needs to be replaced and the canister placed inside and mounted back on the body. It is for the EVAP system which controls vapors to the air. It has nothing to do with the fuel pump at all.

Did the check engine light come on?

+3
Thursday, February 8th, 2018 AT 2:38 AM
TMCINTOSH11
Oh okay gotcha, no the check engine light has not come on yet. I have not actually driven it since that happened. I could not find all the hoses for it either. The one I found would not seem to go back on. I will try to look again for it. It looks like it has an electronic solenoid connected to it too, it does not look damaged so hopefully I will not have to buy a new one. Is it okay to drive like this? Thanks!
Thursday, February 8th, 2018 AT 5:16 AM
ASEMASTER6371
There will be one hose that will not be attached to anything, it is a vent to atmosphere.

Thursday, February 8th, 2018 AT 6:47 AM
TMCINTOSH11
Okay, one more question, is the bracket important at all? Reason I ask is because the old one is broke, mechanics will not weld that close to the fuel tank, Ford dealerships do not sell it nor do any parts store. So if I cannot find one at a salvage yard then can I just mount it to the frame another way? Sorry I guess that was two questions, but anyway let me know. Thanks Roy!
Thursday, February 8th, 2018 AT 4:04 PM
ASEMASTER6371
The bracket is required to protect the canister. I would get one at a junk yard.

Friday, February 9th, 2018 AT 2:11 AM