Start disabled due to theft system

STEPH1969
  • CADILLAC SEVILLE

I have a 1994 SLS, V8 Northstar.I cannot get my car started. The on board message tells me "starting disabled due to theft system". Other than paying a Cadillac Dealership over $500.00 any suggestions? I already tried unhooking the battery and cleaning the keys off.
Thanks for listening!

Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 7:40 AM

M_H_RITZEL

Is the anti theft a after market product? See if there is a button under the drivers side. It is hard to see and is small. If there is press button before putting key in ignition. While holding the button turn the key on. You can also try putting the key in the door and turn the key to unlock the door twice. Does not re-lock the door. Sometimes this works. Do you have a remote to unlock the doors? Anti theft systems are sometime very sensitive so you might have to do it a couple of times before it resets. Let me know what happens.

+1
Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 9:59 AM
STEPH1969

Okay, I have tried your suggestions, Unfortunately nothing.
Any other suggestions? I got some information on by passing the VATS, But when I try locating the wire (orange one running down the steering column) we cannot seem to find it. Is there a difference in that stuff on a 1994 Cadillac Seville SLS?
Help!

+2
Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 12:18 PM
M_H_RITZEL

Was there a button? Is there a light on the dash that blinks?

+9
Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 3:42 PM
STEPH1969

No, there was no button, and yes the "security" light did blink.

Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 9:11 PM
ERICSATTLER

I have a 1991 El Dorado and when this happened to me I had to by a whole new key whole thing (sorry my car knowledge is bad) but yes that ran me $700.00. The wire got cut inside it and the sensor was bad.

Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 5:47 PM
STEPH1969

Wow, that was a relief, I got a great set of instructions and images of wiring inside the steering column and bought a $2.00 resistor from radio shack and voila it started!
If anyone has this problem and wants to try this solution, I still have the instructions.

+5
Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 7:22 PM
ALLALAW

Any way you could email me that solution to your problem. I am having the same situation with my Cadillac and it is driving me crazy. I did try putting the resistor in but nothing happened. Possibly I did not do it properly. Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 AT 3:10 AM
SMESTA

I have the same problem. I have a 1990 Cadillac El Dorado and the dash says to wait three minutes then start. We have tried. It worked a couple of times, now it will not start at all no matter how long we try and wait. Tried to do a reset by the old school method, did not work. Need to fix this ASAP. My husband is a heart patient and this is the only car we have right now. It is a V8 engine. We will check all of the suggestions I have read so far and let you know if they work or not. Any other suggestions?

+1
Wednesday, June 20th, 2007 AT 6:01 PM
SMESTA

Okay, tried both suggestions. Unlocking doors did not work. Could not find a reset button or any kind of button under drivers side dash. Could it be somewhere else? There has to be some kind of driver/owner override somewhere! Can anyone help?

Thursday, June 21st, 2007 AT 12:15 PM
VERMAUSO

Yes, I need the part number for the resistor and could you e-mail the instructions? Have been having this problem and every thing that has been written thus far has not helped. I tried wiggling the ignition key switch back and forth and both times now the starter has engaged. Thank you

-1
Tuesday, July 31st, 2007 AT 10:13 AM
VERMAUSO

Hi, has anyone figured out your problem yet or are you still waiting as I am? Thank you, Vermauso

Sunday, August 5th, 2007 AT 4:27 PM
XINA

Do you think I can get those instructions also, like everyone else anti-theft. Thanks f you If could please help me out!

-1
Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 12:17 PM
TALLENT

I am having this same problem with mine. Can you email me what to do to get this fixed? I am pretty lost when it comes to cars.

Thanks!

Monday, January 21st, 2008 AT 8:59 PM
CONDORROCKBILLY

I need to know what one to buy? 1991 Seville.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 7:05 PM
FACTORYJACK

There is no owner override. The VATS system on your car has about fifteen different possibilities of key values. You could measure the resistance of the key pellet minus your fingers (the body has continuity) and get a resistor that way, it still needs installed. You could also get a new cylinder and VATS key, have the wires put in the connector and tuck that under the dash. Otherwise, you need the ignition lock cylinder and keys replaced. The reason for the key replacement, is the new cylinder will have a different cut than the one you are replacing.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 10:07 PM
MYSTIC ILLUSION

Please I need your help. I would like you to send me those instructions and the part number for the resister. If you possibly can. I would deeply appreciate it. I bought my car six months ago. Drove it one week and its been parked in my driveway ever since. After a new transmission, starter, battery, brain, and a fly wheel. I finally got to drive it today. I got home parked her now it will not start up due to this irritating.
Thank you

Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 10:53 PM
UDIE0@YAHOO.COM

Please email me the information, that was successful, in them repairing their Cadillac? Where is the resistor located.

+1
Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 6:34 PM
SHAVETTE

Can you email the instructions or mail to me please?

Saturday, August 9th, 2014 AT 7:25 AM
SAJIRAEDDIE1209

Hi, I have the problem with my 1993 Cadillac Deville anti-theft security system my car does not start. By any chance do you still have the instruction on how to by pass it? Please canyo u email it to me at radrs01@yahoo. Com?

Saturday, November 8th, 2014 AT 6:01 PM
THEDENTIST715

Can you email me the instructions please? Thedentist715@gmail. Com.

Saturday, April 18th, 2015 AT 6:51 AM

Related Battery Content

Recommended guides