STARTER QUESTIO

2000 Cadillac Deville

caldillac

February, 1, 2010 AT 6:17 PM

2000 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

The batt was dead in my 2000 deville. When I try to jump start it, it clicks but, wont turn over. I can tell the starter is throwing the gear onto the flywheel but, not turning the motor over? Is there a way jump the starter so I can figure out if the sterter is in fact bad or wheather it's some other electrical issue?
Thanks,
George

factoryjack

February, 1, 2010 AT 10:55 PM

First thing is whether you are jumping it from the battery, or at the power stud under the hood at the fuse block. There is a connector that is tucked down in the right front of the engine, near the power steering pump, between the intake and the head. If memory serves me correctly it is a three pin connector. That connector is for knock sensors, and starter signal. The starter signal wire I believe is a large purple wire. With this disconnected, and the starter side of that wire fed power, you should engage the starter. If however, you have a weak battery, or poor connection, then you probably still won't have the amps to turn the engine over. If you have a battery charger, disconnect the cables from the battery and charge it for several hours. It sounds like you just have a discharged battery, and it may not be taking a jump.

caldillac

February, 2, 2010 AT 11:53 AM

Well I ended up taking the intake off to check out the starter and the end of the starter was broken off and laying on top of the flywheel ! The satrter bolts were tight. Very weird? Does anyone know what the torque specs for the intake gasket are?
Thanks,
George

factoryjack

February, 2, 2010 AT 10:23 PM

89 in lbs on the intake.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement