Wipers wont work

TARGADSM
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
V8 two wheel drive automatic 165,000 miles.

I am having an issue fixing this car. The wipers stopped working, I checked the fuse and relay, both were fine. I tested the wiper motor and pulse board, both also good. All these being good would lead me to believe the multi-function switch is bad but here is where it gets tricky. If the car sits for a while off and it is started they will work on any speed until car is turned off, then they may or may not turn back on. I got them going today, took the car for a ride hitting all the bumps I could and they did not miss a beat, got home and turned the car off then bam, no more wipers. I have never heard of a multi-function switch that is bad not fail under fiddling and if its the wiring would not it fail with bumps? Any help that could point me in the right direction would be awesome! The owner would love to get his car back!
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 9:22 PM

TOOOMANYTOYS
Being that it is intermittent I would try checking wires and connectors when it does not work. Trying moving all wires checking powers and grounds. Also try jumping motor with direct 12 volts.
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 9:27 PM
TARGADSM
I checked voltage and with the wipers switched on low or high the three prong plug on the motor did show the far right at twelve volts, nothing when on intermittent, but on one setting of intermittent one of the middle prongs on the harness going into the pulse board showed voltage and nothing on the motor harness. I was going to try hooking twelve volts directly to the motor but was unsure if damage would occur with the pulse board connected. When I checked for voltage I used the block as a ground, maybe checking for a constant ground in the harness would not be a bad idea given that the motor showed twelve volts. But, would not the ground working as it pleased make the wipers stop when the ground broke connection? Or will they keep running like a 1960's GM with no battery?
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM
TOOOMANYTOYS
Multi function switch do commonly go bad. Just sugguesting a few more checks before replacing. If you had a loose ground This condition could be. But if you jumped ground to block its most likey something else. Also when not working try tapping on motor to see if the internal motor brushes are seizing.
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 9:46 PM
TONYDACANNON
  • 1997 CADILLAC DEVILLE
My lights come on and off, but have not came on in months. When my lights stop working so do my windshield wipers and my turn signals. The hazard signal lights up and stays on only when in drive, but goes out when in park. But still no headlights. My tail lights are fully functional along with my brake lights. The turn signal will have a faint blink but hardly visible.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 3:24 PM (Merged)
This has to be looked at physically we cannot give a good diagnosis for this over the computer.
PEGGYLYNN
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
V8 front wheel drive automatic 130, 00 miles.

My wipers stopped working all of a sudden. I checked the fuses and they were good. I bought a new wiper motor and that did not work. Someone said it may be the circuit board on the wiper motor so I bought a used motor with a board on it. This also did not work. I returned it and they gave me another one to try. It still wont work and I am desperate for answers. I do not know anything else to try. Help please
-1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 3:25 PM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK
Does the wipers operate in any mode, how about washers? Does the vehicle have moisture sensing wipers (RPO CE1), the rpo codes are on a sticker on your spare tire cover. Did you check the accessory fuse in the rear fuse block as well as the wiper fuse in the underhood? There is an accessory relay in the underhood relay center that supplies the power to the switch. If you can find that relay and one identical near it, then swap them. The info at this point can also apply to the moisture sensing option. If we are inoperative in all modes, and have no washer, it sounds like no power to switch.
SBAITH
  • 1993 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Wipers will not work.
-1
Hi:
Have you checked for power to the wiper motor?

SALTHOUSE
  • 1972 CADILLAC DEVILLE
V8 two wheel drive automatic 000000 miles

today while it was raining my wipers just quit working. When I left for work they were working but when I left work for home they just would not come on at all. No noise, no nothing. Would this just be a fuse or did the motor burn up? Or did the rain cause this problem. I have never had a problem driving in the rain with them before. Thank you.