BURNING AND LEAKING OIL?

2001 Cadillac Catera

dsmith17201

August, 27, 2008 AT 10:19 PM

Smells problem
2001 Cadillac Catera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83,000 miles

I have noticed that my car has started to leak oil, but only because I notice it on my drive way. It also smells like Im burning oil. When I drive it, you can see some smoke coming mostly from under the car especially by the drivers side door. I thought that maybe I put in too much oil because I never checked it before I added oil (the oil light came on, so I put 3 quarts in). I keep checking my oil level and it isnt low at all. The dipstick shows that it is full. I have noticed that when I have been driving for awhile, my check oil light comes on (oil isnt low) and it will stay on until the car is shut off and even if I turn it on right away. The oil light stays off. Do you think there is just too much oil in there or is it something I should get checked. Someone said that it could be my oil sensor?

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

mhpautos

August, 27, 2008 AT 10:27 PM

Hi there,

time tom get the engine flushed and change the filter, just topping up the oil is not very good for the engine as you don't remove all the acids that build up and destroy bearings. Have the engine washed and checked for oil leaks as I feel the smoke is oil dripping onto the hot exhaust, start here.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT