STUMPED ON MY MECHANICS WORK CANT PUT

1998 Cadillac Catera

caddillact98

October, 21, 2010 AT 9:41 PM

1998 Cadillac Catera 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86,684 miles

hi I recently had my headgasket kit installed and my mechanic is stumped on re installing the camshafts> they all look alike and I need my car like yesterday> can you give me any help on how they go in order being they all look alike

factoryjack

October, 21, 2010 AT 11:50 PM

If you are speaking of the camshafts themselves all looking alike, they could be. Ideally, they should have been marked for reference during reassembly, but that is not too important. What I would do is look for casting numbers or part numbers in the shafts themselves, and see if they are all a match. Then they could be reinstalled in any position. Another possibility is to place them all in the same profile with the cam sprocket locating pins, and compare the position of the lobes. If they are all really identical, then I would assume they are the same. The only other option, is upon finding a cast in part number, and they are different, call a GM parts center and have them run the numbers to decode what they are.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper