ENGINE WON'T IDLE OR START WHEN WARM

1992 Cadillac Brougham

fleetwoodlarry

November, 10, 2010 AT 9:04 AM

1992 Cadillac Brougham V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

I have a rear wheel drive fleetwood brougham with a 5.7 L engine. It starts cold but and runs OK for about 5 miles but when it warms up it stalls when I slow down or stop and the engine has to idle. If I give it a shot of starter fluid it will start and run as long as I don't let the RPM's drop below about 1,000. As soon as I take my foot off of the accelerator it stalls. Give another shot of fluid and it starts and runs just don't try to let it idle. This is throttle body injection. I thought it might be the EGR valve so I took it off and cleaned it but it really looked in good shape. Didn't make any difference. Seems to run fine otherwise.

Dies On Idle

November, 10, 2010 AT 3:28 PM

You may need to clean the throttle-body, check the idle air system. Any applicable trouble codes?

fleetwoodlarry

November, 11, 2010 AT 9:07 AM

I sprayed the throttle body with some carb cleaner but did not take it off and soak it real good. There are no codes and the service engine light is not on.

November, 11, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

The idle air control valve should be removable, attached to the throttle body. To clean passages, you may need to remove the throttle-body. Just my opinion.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement