CHANGING POWER STEERING BOX

1967 Buick Riviera

coronadom63

May, 6, 2010 AT 9:26 PM

Steering problem
1967 Buick Riviera V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 101500 miles

my power steering box is leaking, I was told this by a transmission shop, I was wondering how hard it is to replace it? I have a friend how is not a mechanic but is pretty smart and can usually figure things out, but being that it has to do with steering I was wondering if it is pretty simple or I should only let a mechanic replace it? He's going to change my motor mounts for me and has done a starter in the past. Also I was wondering what it takes to change the power steering box.

hmac300

May, 12, 2010 AT 7:45 PM

If your steering box is leaking, it is probably coming from the pitman seals. That is where teh arm connects to the rest of the steering at the bottom. It's not a bad thing ot fix, the hardest part will be getting the pitman arm off. There is a snap ring that holds the seals, then a washer and the 2 seals which are both pressed in. You just take them out, clean the shaft a little, then lube the seals and reinstall the new ones. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the steering box and probably the cause. But check your hoses as well.

coronadom63

May, 12, 2010 AT 8:29 PM

I already purchased the gear box, that's what I need to know if it's hard to replace, is there any trick to that? Is it hard or easy to replace?

hmac300

May, 13, 2010 AT 7:18 AM

It's a bolt in swap very easy, just make sure to get eht pitman arm on at the right place if you are replacing that. Get a front end alignment after replacing it.

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200