1997 Buick Park Avenue The 3800 motor supercharger

ABE_ROBINSON
  • 1997 BUICK PARK AVENUE
I am considering buying a Park Avenue Ultra with the supercharger. This particular Park Ave has a rattling supercharger, in fact every one I have come across the last few years has had varying degrees of a rattle in the supercharger. The person selling this Park Ave is trying to tell me that it is not a bearing problem, but a problem with the input shaft, and it can go another 100K miles with the rattle. I am pretty sure that this is not true. I am just curious as to what the deal is with these things, can I send it out to be rebuilt for a price that isn't more than what the car is worth? Is there anyone that rebuilds these? This particular car is in real nice shape, it's just the supercharger that is wrong with it.
Sunday, July 13th, 2008 AT 9:19 PM

DR. HAGERTY
I have a recommendation, and please remember this is only my humble opinion. I have and do own Buick cars and have had excellent service from them all, including a 1991 Century, a 2001 Regal and my mom had two Park avenues and now is driving a Lucerne. None of them are forced induction motors and in fact I would not buy any car for myself or my family members that was unless I intended to compete with the damn thing. Forced induction is fine for it's application, but not for a daily driver. My opinion is to consider passing on this one and find one that has not the question mark of a supercharger that rattles.
Monday, July 14th, 2008 AT 12:12 AM
DCONROY
I have a 1998 Bucik utra and I unhooked the supercharger runs good and better on gas mileage

I am considering buying a Park Avenue Ultra with the supercharger. This particular Park Ave has a rattling supercharger, in fact every one I have come across the last few years has had varying degrees of a rattle in the supercharger. The person selling this Park Ave is trying to tell me that it is not a bearing problem, but a problem with the input shaft, and it can go another 100K miles with the rattle. I am pretty sure that this is not true. I am just curious as to what the deal is with these things, can I send it out to be rebuilt for a price that isn't more than what the car is worth? Is there anyone that rebuilds these? This particular car is in real nice shape, it's just the supercharger that is wrong with it.[/Quote]
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 4:18 PM
KRAMFLIP22
I had the same problem and found out this was my problem. Coupler in the nose of supercharger was either broken or loose. To check if this is problem take off only the supercharger belt, start car and listen for noise. If no noise this should be fix.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/232622_couplerfix_1.jpg

Sunday, August 24th, 2008 AT 12:45 PM