ENGINE KNOCK

2001 Buick Century

poorguy30

April, 5, 2010 AT 9:25 AM

2001 Buick Century 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

On Friday I had my oil changed before a trip to DC. Everything was fine. On my return trip I started hearing a knocking sound in the engine that went faster as the engine worked harder. When I got home I took to to a mechanic who said that it's either oil blockage or the piston lifter. In either case he said it would be cheaper to just let it die. I've driven over 200miles since this noise started. It hasn't gotten any worse. How long do you think I have until it dies, or do you even think it will?

freemba

April, 5, 2010 AT 8:09 PM

There is no way to tell how long the engine will last. However, if the mechanic could have told you if the sound was in the valve train or the engine's bottom end it would help me to give you my professional opinion (there is no part or assembly called the " piston lifter" ).

It sounds like he probably was referring to either the valve lifter or the connecting rod (worn rod bearings). A bad lifter is reasonably expensive to repalce but, still cheaper than a new engine or new car (takes about 3 -5 days at a shop). A connecting rod problem requires an engine overhaul or new engine (this could be really expensive). Perhaps this is why the mechanic advised you to " let it die.&Quot; (hopefully you won't be in heavy traffic, far from home or in terrible weather when it dies). Talk to your mechanic again. Post his diagnosis and maybe we can take the " let it die" option off of the table. How many miles are on this vehicle? Does the knocking sound every go away?

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Air Intake Boot Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata