1998 Buick Century engine computer problem I think

TEFLON
  • 1998 BUICK CENTURY
1998 buick century 160,000 miles 3.1v6 engine. I can't get my radio to play while i'm driving. When I turn the key backwards in the ignition the radio plays, when I turn it frontwards right b4 I crank it it stil plays but as soon as I start the car it stays on for a few seconds and it cuts out. Power is geting to it because the radio is on its jus that no sound is coming out. What should I do? There is also a small oil leak I cant seem to locate
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 AT 4:55 PM

SERVICE WRITER
I'm not sure how to go about the radio problem, but it isn't the PCM, More likely internal in the radio.

The oil is in one of two likely places that I would first look. Rear valve cover or distributer plug oring. Look under the throttle body right down to the block with a flashlight.

Provide pics and maybe I can help narrow it down if I didn't already.
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 AT 5:35 PM
TEFLON
Thanks. I forgot to mention that the security lights keeps coming on. I saw another post wher a guy with the same model year and mileage was having the same problem and he said that his anti theft system was malfuntioning. He said he took it out and he hasnt had the problem since. The dash board light was off also but it came back in so I didn think anything of it until I saw that post. What do u suggest?
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 AT 7:28 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Again, I was replying to the oil leak more so, I'm not able to provide much on the radio problem. Maybe someone else may jump in on this.
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 7:45 AM
TEFLON
Thanks. It was the dern radio. My friend tried it in his jeep and it killed the battery. He had it playing for like half an hour to test it and it was so hot it burned him and was melting plastic. He said sometimes the front speakers would play and the back would b dead other times it wouldnt. Then the radio would b on and no sound then it would b off and music would play. It was a custom made radio was the amp and evrything built in. It killed my battery also and I ended up having a buy a new one. The only problem now is the dimmer. Sometimes my gauge cluster is bright and sometimes its dim.
Monday, September 3rd, 2007 AT 8:39 AM
SERVICE WRITER
You may be having a voltage regulator going bad in the alternater regarding the dimming.
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 2:33 AM