1990 Buick Century Where is The ECU Located on 1990 Buick C

STVTILL116
  • 1990 BUICK CENTURY
I have a 1990 Buick Century. Car started to stall when I would hit the gas. Took it to a shop and they said it was the ecu and it would cost around $400 to fix. Well I am uneployed and do not have $400 so I wanna try to either reset the ecu or buy a used one and replace it. The only problem I have is to locate the ecu. Please help! Only family car ! Or do you think by resteting it it will help

Steve
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM

JACK42
It is located behind the dash, to the left of the glove box. Resetting it isnt an option with the older cars, you can only "flash" newer computers
+2
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 11:02 AM
STVTILL116
Thank you I will take a look for it :) When I say resting it I mean by disconnecting the battery for about 30 min so the computer loses power then connecting the battery back and starting the car. I read online that kinda resets the ecu and just leave the car running for about 30 mins so the ecu re-learns? What do you think? Or should I just replace it. Thanks again

Steve
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM
JACK42
Those computers arent real smart as far as learning goes. It will basically just relearn idle speed, nothing real major. Taking power away will reset the check engine light
+1
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 11:22 AM
STVTILL116
Hi I replaced the ECU and the car drove fine for one day then today I drove it around city driving and no problem then I got onto the highway and the car stalled. I unpluged the wires from the ecu and put them back on- the car started. I got off the highway and parked the car for 15 minutes and tried to start it back up and it would not start so I unpluged the ECU again and this time it would not start so I kept unplugging and plugging the wires and trying to start it after about 10 tries the car started again drove it for like 10 miles then parked it and the same thing happened so I unplugged and replugged again and after about 10 times it started. Then while I was driving it stalled again on the road and I did the same thing unplugged and replugged wires, OMG PLEASE HELP! Like I said I bought a new ECU after the mechanic told me it was it. What else could it be?

Thank You Steve
Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 10:40 AM
JACK42
When it dies you need to test for spark adn fuel pressure to see what is missing and go from there. Also need to scan the ECM for codes, so dont unplug it (which can ruin it)
Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 12:18 PM