OIL PRESSURE LIGHT FLASHES WHEN ENGINE WARM

2003 BMW X5

bruceandbron

September, 16, 2010 AT 3:17 AM

Computer problem
2003 BMW X5 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

When we are on long drives or it is a hot day and the engine heat is about halfway on its indicator, the check oil light flashes for a few seconds on and off. We have checked the oil level, the transmission was replaced less than 5000kms ago. This light comes on a few times but does not stay lit. We are worried about this if you can help shed some light as Aust BMW dealers just tell us to top up the engine oil!

My husband just told me it occurs most when we are stopped at lights and the car is in gear. Doesn't seem to occur when the car is driving or in neutral.

September, 16, 2010 AT 3:20 AM

If the oil level is good-Use a mechanical gauge and check the oil pressure if normal replace the oil pressure switch abnormal could mean oil pump and engine bearings-

Dr. Hagerty

September, 16, 2010 AT 8:42 AM

Is the red oil can icon lit up or is the oil can icon yellow?

bruceandbron

September, 16, 2010 AT 8:23 PM

Hi,
The oil can is red

Dr. Hagerty

October, 2, 2010 AT 10:12 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back. The possibility of engine damage is not really very high, I have chased the same issue on those motors and found the pressure to be right at the point where the red oil light comes on at idle, in gear. My solution was to increase the idle speed 50-75 rpms, it is not a perfect solution. It may also be the switch has become overly sensitive.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW