OIL WATER SEPARATOR

2000 BMW 740

kcbrosr

June, 23, 2010 AT 8:02 PM

2000 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 152390 miles

What is the oil water separator bolted to inside the timing chain housing? My oil water separator recently discintagrated inside of the timing chain housing. All that is left is the top piece that attaches to the vent pipe and the piece where the hex bolt goes. What I don't know is what is attached to the bolt. The oil separator P/N is 11 15 1 705 272. The bolt P/N is 07 11 9 904 524. I know that the bottom would attach to the oil pipe outlet.

Prime Fuel Sytem

1 IMAGE

Help !!!!

Dr. Hagerty

June, 24, 2010 AT 12:31 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/bmw/740
Here is a link I use all the time.
The timing cover will likely require removal to get the part out.

kcbrosr

June, 24, 2010 AT 6:40 AM

Thanks Dr. Hagerty. I've already gotten the part out. I'm ready to reassemble everything now, but don't know what is attached by that bolt to the oil water separator. I've seen that diagram, and it doesn't show what is supposed to be attached.

Dr. Hagerty

June, 24, 2010 AT 9:55 AM

The separator does not interact with water or coolant, it is for the condensation of oil vapor back into liquid. In the link, what part number/description are you talking about? If you are talking about the grub screw, it pushes against the case to hold it in place.

kcbrosr

June, 24, 2010 AT 10:04 AM

Thanks again Dr. Hagerty for your reply. It is not the grub screw I'm referring to, rather it is P/N 07 11 9 904 524. It screw into the oil water separator near the vent pipe connection. It would appear that something should be attached to that screw which should secure the oil water separator in place inside the timing case housing. The diagram doesn't show what would be attached to the screw.

Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250