FAIL SAFE MODE

1998 BMW 740

rgm172

July, 31, 2009 AT 5:41 PM

1998 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

i have a 740 il automatic tranny the fail safe tranny code comes on when the tranny slightly slips second gear going to third id I drive it carefully it doesnot do it but put your foot alittle into and it will go into failsafe mode, had a tranny pro check care but he says needs tranny, and didnt want to pull pan to check fluid and filter says that wount happen with bad fluid or filter, being a mechanic myself I am very scepticail of the diognosis without pulling pan and filter, the car drives to good.

Dr. Hagerty

August, 1, 2009 AT 6:39 PM

It could easily be a software issue and you may need to obtain proper scanning to uncover the fault, do you have access to a GT-1?

rgm172

August, 1, 2009 AT 7:14 PM

No I only have the modis and solis snapon scanners I belive your talking about bmw scanner.

rgm172

August, 4, 2009 AT 5:46 PM

I donated $25.00 to your forum and all I get is a one line answer that means nothing, what a racket you have I want to get in on this with my appliance bussiness for a donation I can give no help exept to suggest to donate more money, what does it take, very disapponted with your level of info. My neighbor the builder could have told me this info infact he did. Maybe im not waiting long enough for another reply 4 to 5 days, thanks for nothing bob & ken

Dr. Hagerty

August, 16, 2009 AT 11:48 AM

So instead of answering my question you just go and try to make me wrong, how interesting.

rgm172

August, 17, 2009 AT 7:55 PM

I did answer your question and asked another along the way with no response from you, I only have accsses to snapon scanners, I dont know what the gt-1 is and thats the other question, is it a bmw scanner, I was expecting more conversation back and fouth for the donation and thats why im slightly confused if I knew about one line answers I would have given much less per answer, so whos really confused here, me or you?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 17, 2009 AT 8:52 PM

Lets not get into a pissing contest. If there is one thing that modern BMW owners should all be educated on is the fact finding process that usually involves the proprietary software that the dealer uses to diagnose the car. If you have no knowledge of said software, then you are probably not going to get the information that will be required to make a proper diagnosis and repair. Aftermarket scanning equipment is sketchy when it comes to defining what to do with BMW transmissions. By assessing faults and reading live data and comparing this to what a normally operating transmission should do is a big part of what may well be needed to trouble shoot and repair the box on your BMW. How shall we proceed from here?

Beamersss

April, 28, 2010 AT 9:39 AM

I own the same vehicle. The problem I found with my vehicle when I experianced the same problem was the switch on console. Sometime while driving on freeway it would go into fail safe mode. I changed switch in center console and i've been driving car over two years.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda