1997 BMW 740 BATTERY

• jtmcnutt
  • 1997 BMW 740

1997 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

My BMW has been sitting for six months and teh battery in completely dead. If I try to jump, which I now have been told was a bad idea, the trunk light came on but won't turn the motor - just clicking. Didn't get the clicking without the cables on. Question is: what is my procedure for hooking up an AC charger and, was jumping a bad idea and, are there any problems because the system has been down for so long?

Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

No. Replace the battery and start it up. Some fresh gas would not hurt.

Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 9:04 PM
  • jtmcnutt

So, the battery is gone just from sitting? And you're saying that there is no concern necessary because it has been without power? Haven't had to buy one yet but that battery is probably not cheap (just a hunch) but if that is the case, any suggestions re what to buy? Our 5 pound Yorkie wants to meet your cat - actually she gets along better with cats than other dogs.

Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 9:29 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

BMW cars have a key off draw of about 50milliamps that over time will KILL a battery, so replace the battery with a similar battery (Interstate batteries for example) and you are good to go mate. Cat has never been around dogs, could be interesting.

Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 9:47 PM
  • jtmcnutt

Interstate it is. Thank you Doctor. Cheers!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/228950_smallrox_redbag_on_beach_1.jpg

Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 12:56 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

You are welcome

Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 2:50 PM
  • KarenCaren

Just a suggestion. Don't let your car sit for too long it will discharge the battery or worst damage your engine. Run the engine once or thrice a week.

On topic. You better buy a new battery.

Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 7:41 PM