1994 BMW 740 GURGLING SOUND AND FRONT END SHIMMY

• gjd002
  • 1994 BMW 740

Noises problem
1994 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

1. I have a gurgling sound coming from what feels like under the dash in front of the steering wheel or possibly close to the firewall by the steering. Does not seem to be effecting any function but it is an annoying sound.

2. Unrelated question
I have had a alignment and wheels balanced twice, front end has been inspected and nothing was found. My mechanic said something about hydrolics could be bad but wouldn't know unless they are replaced. The shimmy occurs between 50 and 60

Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 8:11 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

I suggest having a live BMW knowledgeable technician look into the noise, it is a practical impossibility for me to hear what you hear. The suspension has consumable bushings that require periodic replacement, they can often be the source of the issue you are posting with, check this link out: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD43&;mospid=47362&btnr=31_0148&hg=31&fg=05

#8 is the bushing for the reaction rod.

Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 9:22 AM
  • jinyfoot

To check any play in this car you should jack it up it's to heavy you won't find any play when it's on the ground

Saturday, April 7th, 2012 AT 6:50 PM