CHECK CONTROL DISPLAY

2001 BMW 540

arosswatson

August, 14, 2008 AT 5:37 PM

Computer problem
2001 BMW 540 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

I recently purchased a used BMW from a private owner. I didn't notice that the Check Control Display LCD doesn't fully illuminate all the characters (letters or numbers). What does this mean and how expensive is it to fix?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 14, 2008 AT 7:43 PM

Pixels missing in the display is quite common for these models and usually does not impact the operation of the vehicle, although it is distracting. The replacement of the instrument cluster is the only thing I can recommend to fix this issue. The replacement cluster will require proper coding and can be completed by the dealer or an independent with the proper software. You may wish to deal with this issue as it is now. The cluster replacement cost isn't cheap, maybe as much as $700, then its installation and coding costs.

arosswatson

August, 15, 2008 AT 3:46 PM

Thanks for the quick answer - I suspected it would be something pricey. So it goes with a BMW. Is there another way I can tell my odometer reading, when service is needed, fluid is low, etc? And is the cluster replacement in the computer in the turn signal lever or in the dashboard?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 15, 2008 AT 11:12 PM

The odometer is back lighted and you might get the mileage with a key read from the dealer. The instrument cluster will replace as a whole part in the dash.

arosswatson

August, 16, 2008 AT 6:51 PM

Thanks for the great advice!

Dr. Hagerty

August, 16, 2008 AT 9:13 PM

Stop by anytime.