HEAT

• gisloc
  • BMW 535

Okay I have a 1988 535i BMW. I finally got the car started. And decided to go and test the things that are in the car. My air works.(Not cold cold. But cold) but my heat does not. It blows out cool air. Now when looking under the hood I notice a valve shut off that looks like one of the ones you have on the side of your house for a water hose. Its in the off position. It hooks up to radiator hoses the one going into it is warm when the car is on and one coming from it is cold so I know its off. My question is if I turn this on. Will I have heat. And why would you turn this off in the first place. Thank u. Justin

Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 8:28 PM

• blackop555

Yes it should, it can be shut off to do varioius maitnence on the car without draining hthe system. If still no heat bleed the system!

Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 8:38 PM
  • gisloc

How would you bleed the system. Just drian all the coolant or is there another way to do it with out drianing all of the coolant?

Monday, October 29th, 2007 AT 10:22 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

To bleed the air from the cooling system on an M-30
motor, fill the system and open the air bleed (on top of the thermostat housing) until it pushes all the air out.
Top off and test drive, then recheck

Monday, October 29th, 2007 AT 10:58 PM
  • gisloc

Is the screw at the top of the picture the air bleed screw and do i let the air out while the car is running or shut off? Sorry about all the questions but i know a fair amount about cars...this is just something i havnt done before

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108583_1030071442_1.jpg

Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 1:49 PM
  • blackop555

Yes, have the car running

Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 2:58 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

While it is running, fill the system and open the bleeder until the air purges, then top up the system and replace the cap and run it with the heater on.

Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 3:02 PM
  • gisloc

The heat works now. Its really really hot almost like sticking your arm in a oven on full blast. Not sure if thats good or not but dont plan on running on full blast

Thursday, November 1st, 2007 AT 10:57 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Another successful repair

Friday, November 2nd, 2007 AT 10:41 AM
  • dkkclack

I have the same model car with the same heat problem. I read your post but cannot seem to locate the valve by the radiator you are referring to. Can you please post a picture showing where it is? It's coming in to winter and it would be great to have some heat ASAP! Thanks

Saturday, November 14th, 2009 AT 2:12 PM