Car Wont Start

GISLOC
  • BMW 535

I have a 1988 535i BMW that I bough 2 days a go from a guy who parked it 6 months ago. It has a a 3.5 L V6 I do believe. My question is the car will turn over but will not start. I can smell gas while trying to start the car. I also notice if I press the gas pedal to the floor, there is a switch or button not sure what you would call it but it sticks out of the floor by like 2 inches, and if I press the gas pedal all the way down and the switch it pressed and then with the pedal still all the way down and the switch being pressed I try to start the engine it makes a pop noise and this cloud of smoke comes out of where the air box hooks up the engine and it smells strong off gas. Im guessing if I smell gas my fuel pumps arnt bad. Sometimes when trying to get it to start it ends with a tump noise. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 12:28 AM

DR. HAGERTY

You will need spark at the correct time, fuel, and compression to run.
Sounds like it is not getting spark.
Check for spark at each cylinder.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 11:12 AM
GISLOC

Thank You.I pulled my spark plugs yesterday before I read the answer to my question and they look pretty much fryed. I'm not sure when I will get the chance to get new ones seeing I work all this week and the car is a project at the moment.(Well it will be my first car if I can get it to run).I'll post back if that wasnt the problem

Friday, October 19th, 2007 AT 10:35 AM
DR. HAGERTY

Also, please inspect the wires, cap, and rotor.

Friday, October 19th, 2007 AT 11:33 AM
GISLOC

Okay I put new plugs in and I have spark.I plan on putting some fresh gas in the car tonight since its been sitting for 6 months. If the gas and the spark isnt the problem, then what is.

Saturday, October 20th, 2007 AT 1:53 PM
GISLOC

I was getting spark but I think not engough because I rplaced the rotor and the car started and runs fine minus the hole in the exhaust

Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 8:11 PM
DR. HAGERTY

Always listen to the Doctor

Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 11:35 PM