COST AND IS IT WORTH IT?

1994 BMW 530i

beemer girl 1

August, 28, 2009 AT 10:33 PM

1994 BMW 530i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 155000 miles

my 94 530i BMW needs $ 1300 in work right now: water pump And new fan clutch as well as some new belts, My mech also says there are indications that I might have a leaky headgasket (exhaust fumes in the engine?)Aside from current work that needs to be done the car runs great and handles beautifully. I also just replace the fuel pump this summer.
What is the average cost of replace head gaskets on this car and is it worth putting the money in. It had a new engine put in a 70,000 miles and currently has 155,000 miles

Dr. Hagerty

August, 28, 2009 AT 10:50 PM

BMW had to warranty many of the early M-60 motors due to cylinder erosion, if yours was one of these motors, it might just need a new valley pan, intake manifold reseal, maybe valve cover gaskets. The 3.0 liter V-8 is a good motor and head gasket failure is unlikely unless there was some trauma such as an over-heated engine or missed oil changes. As to your question: to remove and replace both cylinder head gaskets is 152 flat rate units which is equal to 19 hours.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer