2001 BMW 530 BATTERY NEEDS CHARGING

• mckeague5
  • 2001 BMW 530

2001 BMW 530 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My battery keeps dying down and needing re-charged every 5-6 days. Automotive shops say that cannot find anything that would cause it to die (i.E. Like a short, something left on, etc.)

Saturday, November 8th, 2008 AT 8:28 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

The fan has a solid-state device that controls the fan speed and is called a final stage and has been known to cause the problems you are having. If you remove the final stage and inspect it and it has large tapered "teeth" that act as heat sinks, replace it with the later version final stage. ♥

Sunday, November 9th, 2008 AT 11:13 AM
  • cliff73

I have an '01 540i and had a similar problem. Shops kept trying to find the problem with no success. Just as I had given up they found a short in the central locking mechanism causing the battery to drain overnight when the car was locked. After replacing this the problem occurred again and after about 2 months in the shop they found a similar problem with the locking mechanism in the passenger door. They are replacing it for free and I will hopefully have no more problems. After months of walking to work and scanning the forums I thought I would share my experience with you in case it helps. Good Luck.

Sunday, November 23rd, 2008 AT 3:47 PM