NOISE WHEN DRIVING ?

1985 BMW 528e

Kerry7

October, 1, 2010 AT 9:11 AM

Noises problem
1985 BMW 528e Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi
new here and would appreciate any suggestions. My car is making a strange noise somewhere between a thunking and tinging noise. This only happens when the car is in motion -especially when accelerating? It is coming from the right rear area. We have looked under the car as it is driving and nothing appears loose, have climbed under it and can see anything that could be making this noise, it does not do it if we are at a red light or stop sign. There is no noticeable pulling to either side. If there is anyone who knows what this could be -any help would be very welcome!
thanks so much!

Dr. Hagerty

October, 1, 2010 AT 9:17 AM

The thing to try here is to get the car in the air on a lift and attempt to determine the source of the noise, I think it might be the driveshaft from your description.

Kerry7

October, 1, 2010 AT 9:40 AM

Wow- drive shaft? Ok that even sounds expensive. And it is the rear left side -not the right - I dont know if that makes a difference? Thank you very much for answering !

Dr. Hagerty

October, 1, 2010 AT 11:15 AM

You're welcome. I request the inspection be performed straightaway before any conclusions are made, it is all too easy to make a bad diagnosis, especially when all the facts are not present.

Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Fuel Pump Replacement
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata