CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1997 BMW 328

chister

May, 7, 2008 AT 1:21 PM

1997 BMW 328 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I live in West Texas and it is normally very dry. Has not rained in months. We had a lengthy downpour this am and had to drive thru alot more water than normal. On the way home, my check engine light came on. I have had this vehicle for 1 year, keep up the maintenance. Any suggestions? Could this just be due to some water up in the engine? What should I do?

Dr. Hagerty

May, 7, 2008 AT 8:18 PM

There may an issue with water in that car. The area above the glove box is where the E-box is and it is accessible through the engine compartment at the firewall. Remove the heat shield and the plastic cover, inspect for evidence of water inside the E-box. If so, repost and I will send an attachment for the repairs from a BMW service bulletin #41-03-09. Also scan the car for the reason why the check engine light is on and we can go from there.

chister

May, 8, 2008 AT 8:59 AM

Thanks. My husband is going to take a look at that. He thinks that is what it was, because later in the day, the engine went off. He thinks water got up there and it just finally dried out. Is there a chance of long term damage?

Dr. Hagerty

May, 8, 2008 AT 9:07 AM

The danger is the flooding of said compartment that contains the electronics. Water and electricity are not the best of friends, especially for expensive electrical components such as the DME and EGS (if automatic transmission) modules that reside in the E-box. Request your husband check the drain tube, repost if needed.