MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

2001 BMW 325

jumac81880

September, 14, 2010 AT 6:30 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2001 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

When excelerating below speeds of 20-25 and hit 20mph, the rear-end vibrates. Best way to discribe it, it sounds like a propeller, but ends exactly at 25 and doesn't come back there after 25. Also, while traveling at normal hwy or road speeds, car makes howling noise that seems to be coming from the rear of car. The vibration comes in while in second gear and into third, but ends in third. I have a slap stick auto trans and haven't tried to leave in first to see if the noise or vibration happens because the RPMs seem to be to high at the speed it starts. I don't want to cause one more issue if you know what I mean. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Because, right now, it's just a guessing game.

Dr. Hagerty

September, 14, 2010 AT 8:13 AM

The driveshaft and center support bearing are the source of the noise. There is a bulletin for surrounding the center support bearing cage with sticky mastic to dampen the noise, inspect the bearing and stick the mastic into the region between the bearing and the tub of the car. That might do it.

jumac81880

September, 14, 2010 AT 8:40 AM

Thank you so much Dr. Hagerty. I had a feeling it might be that, but I am known to fix everything around the problem, if you know what I mean. I can't thank you enough.

Dr. Hagerty

September, 15, 2010 AT 8:21 AM

No worries.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars