REAR WINDOW RUBBER SLIPS DOWN IN UPPER CORNER

1984 BMW 325

bmrman

February, 28, 2010 AT 7:15 PM

Interior problem
1984 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 185000 miles

I have just put all new rubber (BMW spec) on my 1984 325e and the rear window just isn't sealed right-did my tech goof installing this? He just roped in the window with silicone and installed the locking strip with the wheel tool. The upper corners still don't cover the area well and I worry about water damage and rust. Plus, it just doesn't look good. Thanks, Sam

Dr. Hagerty

February, 28, 2010 AT 11:56 PM

Did you experience leakage? Have you asked the glass guy if the glass was original BMW glass, does the decal bear it out?

bmrman

March, 1, 2010 AT 10:01 AM

It is the original window, so that isn't the problem. In talking with another online source, we both think that once the gasket went on, he should have applied upward pressure with tape and/or suction cups before installing the lockstrip. Any thoughts?

bmrman

March, 1, 2010 AT 10:03 AM

No, there hasn't been any leakage yet, but I am deliberately keeping it as dry as I can. You can plainly tell the strip exposes the body at the upper corners. I will forward a picture soon.

Dr. Hagerty

March, 1, 2010 AT 10:17 AM

Thank you, I will await the image.

bmrman

March, 1, 2010 AT 10:24 AM

Here are a few pics. You can see that the whole window is low about 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so.

bmrman

March, 1, 2010 AT 8:33 PM

Is anyone there? I sent off these pics several hours ago.

Dr. Hagerty

March, 2, 2010 AT 10:41 AM

I am not able to capture the images from this station, I will be able to from my home after work today, sorry for the delay.

Dr. Hagerty

March, 4, 2010 AT 10:46 AM

Still unable to see the car, but I did have a similar car in the shop for repairs and it seemed to exhibit the same sagging at the top corners, perhaps not to the same degree, but the gap was about of an inch or so.

bmrman

March, 4, 2010 AT 10:52 AM

Yes, it sounds like the same thing. What did you do to fix it? I toughtr the rubber was old, so I replaced it. Now it is doing the same thing. There must be something like taping it high during the locking strip installation to keep it from sagging. Any ideas?

Dr. Hagerty

March, 4, 2010 AT 10:58 AM

I recommend checking for water leakage.

Windshield Washer Reservoir Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Prius
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX