1996 AUDI QUATTRO FANS RUN INTERMITTENTLY

• scrapmetalca
  • 1996 Audi Quattro

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Audi Quattro 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

The cooler fans on my Audi Wagon don't turn on until the coolant temp gets up to 230 degrees. Then they run and cool off the engine, shutoff and the cycle repeats. There are three sensors on the cooling system. I replaced two of the sensors, but not the expensive one ($140 and located near the back of the engine on the passenger side). Do you know if replacing that one will fix the problem or not?

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 AT 5:55 PM

• mastertechtim

The fan switch is supposed to come on at 228 degrees then cool off the engine then turn off. Yours is working correctly.

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 AT 5:59 PM
  • scrapmetalca

OK - that seems like the way it is working, but the hot light comes on and flashes almost all the time and the temperature seems to fluctuate a lot - way more than any other car I have driven. Is that normal for an Audi?

Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 8:26 PM
  • mastertechtim

It should not move drastically up and down. Double check the coolant level. The hot light should never come on. Possible problem with the sensor

Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 6:29 AM