FANS RUN INTERMITTENTLY

1996 Audi Quattro

scrapmetalca

May, 14, 2008 AT 5:55 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Audi Quattro 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

The cooler fans on my Audi Wagon don't turn on until the coolant temp gets up to 230 degrees. Then they run and cool off the engine, shutoff and the cycle repeats. There are three sensors on the cooling system. I replaced two of the sensors, but not the expensive one ($140 and located near the back of the engine on the passenger side). Do you know if replacing that one will fix the problem or not?

mastertechtim

May, 14, 2008 AT 5:59 PM

The fan switch is supposed to come on at 228 degrees then cool off the engine then turn off. Yours is working correctly.

scrapmetalca

May, 15, 2008 AT 8:26 PM

OK - that seems like the way it is working, but the hot light comes on and flashes almost all the time and the temperature seems to fluctuate a lot - way more than any other car I have driven. Is that normal for an Audi?

mastertechtim

May, 16, 2008 AT 6:29 AM

It should not move drastically up and down. Double check the coolant level. The hot light should never come on. Possible problem with the sensor

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage