Amount of undercarriage rust normal for a truck with only 10,000 miles

JIM KNOX
  • 2019 FORD F-150
Looking at the truck listed above. Does the amount of rust on the transfer case indicates rough use or something else amiss? Thanks!
Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 AT 3:27 PM

KASEKENNY1
Unfortunately this is all normal. It is going to vary from truck to truck due to the region it is in, how it is maintained, and if it is parked in a garage or on gravel/grass.

Basically this is exposed metal and it is going to rust. How quickly and how much will be different on the above items.

You can undercoat the truck and it will slow this process down but nothing will prevent it. In fact if you replaced all these components today, they will be showing rust again in about a week.

The best thing you can do is wash the undercarriage on a regular basis especially in the winter to wash off the road salt, and store it on dry pavement of some sort. Storing a vehicle on gravel or grass is the worst thing for this issue because it will have a constant source or moisture evaporating up from the gravel/grass.

Let me know if you have questions but again not only is it normal but it is a common complaint. I have a 2020 Ram Rebel in my driveway and I haven't checked it but I am sure there are very similar signs of rust on it. Thanks
Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 AT 3:36 PM
STEVE W.
I've seen them unload trucks fresh from the factory with rust on them. Many have bare steel and iron parts and no protective coatings so they rust fast. I would go under it with a wire brush, scrub off the loose stuff and coat it with something like waxoyl, fluid film or woolwax. They are all similar and do a good job. The woolwax is different because you can get it in black which makes it easier to see and apply.
Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 AT 4:30 PM

Sponsored links