My 1964 Chevelle has an electrical problem of some kind. It will loose ignition for a period of time, ranging from 1/2 second to about 10 seconds. I will loose power to the rest of the car too when this happens - wipers will stop, lights go out etc. The last time it happened, the car died, the wipers stopped and the alternator light came on. As I was coasting to a stop, the alternator light went out and the wipers started working, and it started up again with the key. I had this same problem in April 05, and it went away when I replaced my MSD ignition components with the stock points/condensor ignition including new points, condensor, cap, rotor, coil and spark plug wires - I assumed the problem must have been in the electronic ignition, and have driven trouble free until January 06. I can't find any bad connections anywhere, and can't figure out what could cause a complete loss of power to the car and then have the power come back like it never happened. All of the electric components are stock, no computer controlled stuff, and all the wiring harnesses were new in 1995, so I don't have 42 year old wiring. Thanks for anyone's help.
January, 30, 2006 AT 5:57 PM
You have a main electrical system short, check your fusible links down by the starter.
January, 30, 2006 AT 7:47 PM
I have looked, and I don't think there are any fusible links there. The original 64 chevelle shop manual does not refer to any fusible links. I have a 1965 Chilton's manual, and it says that fusible links started with some 1965 models.
February, 4, 2006 AT 4:35 PM
Check the ignition switch
February, 15, 2006 AT 2:40 PM
I have a similar problem with my 64 Impala except that everything went dead. I don't know how old the wiring harness is. I did install electronic ignition. Battery cables test OK. The starter made a grinding noise shortly before everything went dead. I'm going to have the starter tested for sh*** and grins. I don't totally understand the electrical system, but the battery juice seams to pass through the starter before the current can go anywhere else.
March, 10, 2006 AT 10:00 PM
I have a 64 Impala that the same thing happened. Check the main wiring harness at the fire wall, it will sometimes come loose and then make contact again. This is all that was wrong with mine.
March, 11, 2006 AT 8:52 AM
Yep! This was the exact problem. There are two plastic connectors at the firewall. One was bad and killed all electrical. I sprayed tv tuner cleaner on the contacts and haven't had a problem yet (knock on formica) I was told this is not uncommon on those years.
May, 6, 2009 AT 7:52 AM
Yes the guy who said to check the plug at the firewall is correct a good place to start. Do not look for just a loose connection but look to see if there is any rust on the connectors in side some time they will collect water and cause a short for just a second or too. Also look at the back side of yoour main fuse panel for a loose wire or rust on the connections. From there go to the suggestion on the ignition switch. Mike myparts@netzero. Net