1987 ACURA INTEGRA COOLING FAN RELAY

• cmango
  • 1987 Acura Integra

1987 Acura Integra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 221300 miles

My engine has been overheating, and it is apparently because the cooling fan is not coming on. My mechanic has tested the fan motor and the sensor switch, and both appear to be OK. He indicated it might be a faulty relay. My shop manual (from Acura) shows a cooling fan relay switch in the engine compartment, front right. I have removed the headlight, air filter housing, radiator reservoir, and everything in the vicinity that might have been concealing it, but unless it's behind the cowling inside the wheel well, I cannot find a relay anywhere between the fan motor and the ignition coil.

Any help?

Saturday, September 13th, 2008 AT 11:45 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi cmango,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Component87Integra_1.jpg

Sunday, September 14th, 2008 AT 2:37 AM
  • cmango

Thanks KHLow2008,
But that is the same diagram I have in my Acura manual. And there is nothing there, where the cooling fan relay is shown to be. I do not have A/C, so there is no A/C compressor clutch relay, A/C diode, or condensor relay, either.

Sunday, September 14th, 2008 AT 10:43 AM
  • KHLow2008

Hi cmango,

Should be attached to the inner fender behind the head light.

Sunday, September 14th, 2008 AT 12:26 PM
  • cmango

It's not. Nothing there. I've removed the air filter housing, the radiator reservoir, the headlight. There is no relay there. I've traced the wire from the fan motor, and right behind the headlight it joins the wiring harness. Any other ideas? Ever heard of it being mounted anywhere else? Ever heard of there NOT being any cooling fan relay at all?

Sunday, September 14th, 2008 AT 1:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

It must have a cooling fan relay, unless some one has removed it. If you bridge the fan switch, does the fan come on?

Why don't you check the left side fender inner.

Monday, September 15th, 2008 AT 6:43 AM
  • cmango

Sorry for the delay. I'm the original owner, and as far as I now it's never been removed for any reason. I've looked on the left side, too, but there's so much stuff over there I can't see, unless I get it on a lift. Think I'll have to go ask the dealer. My suspicion is that it has been combined with other relays into some sort of master box somewhere that I can't find or identify from my manual.
Will post any answer I get.
Thanks anyway.

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008 AT 4:43 PM