97 Camry high idle and sputtering/hesitating

DUKESILVER
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
97 Toyota Camry LE 4cyl 2.2L. First of all I am the 2nd owner of the vehicle. 1st owner took excellent care of the vehicle as do I. I have owned over year and half and have only had 1 problem ( split fuel fixture on top of fuel pump). The car has been driving excellent til 3 days ago. DAY1- ran out of gas, and tried driving it up a hill to get to gas station on other side. No probs rest of day. DAY2- drove wife to work at 6:45 am and did some light driving throughout that day. Then around 4pm I started the car and went to store when it mad weird sputter as I started it. I drove it 2 blocks to the store and it was acting like it was low on gas again so I put in $10 gasoline. When I drove it home it sputtered and loped so I immediately parked it. When I started it to try and hear any problems the idle would go up and down from 1000 to 2000 on the Tach. I also noticed a cracked air intake hose and did some research online. DAY3- I ran OBD to find only 1 code ( P0303) which is 3rd cylinder misfire. So I went to store and bought & installed brand new Air Intake hose, ThrottlePositioningSensor, Vacuum Hoses, EGR hose, and EGR valve ( EGR is the only thing I haven't installed), and 4 new Spark plugs. Everything but the EGR valve has been installed. When I start the car now it idles around 1.5-2 and if I give any gas, there's little hesitation and if I do it fast enough sometimes ill hear a pop or hiccup from engine. Not as much sputtering. But if I try and drive it, there's constant sputtering and hesitation. Plz I HAVE to get the car running asap, its how me, my wife get to work and my son get to school. I tried to be as accurate and detailed as to what probs I hear/see and what ive done to fix it. Please anyone
Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 AT 2:45 PM

Has the same trouble code come back? Since you were so low on gas, there is a change the fuel filter may be plugged. Also, many times I have seen the fuel pump go bad after running out of gas. Have you checked fuel pump pressure?

Finally, the looping or idle issue is usually caused by a bad Idle Air Control valve (IAC). Have you checked that? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 AT 7:26 PM
DUKESILVER
Have 3 codes P0303- misfire 3rd cylinder.P0120- TPS, but I replaced it and I tested the harness that connects to TPS with a voltmeter and it read 5V, just like the haynes manual said. And the 3rd code is a pending P0303, which I don't know what that means because I replaced the spark plugs. And about 10 months ago I had a bad (nipple) on the top of my fuel pump, so I replaced the fuel pump. How do I check the fuel pump pressure? And Ive thought about the IAC, but because its so expensive Id like to narrow it down to that before I go and but it and "hope" it works. As of now, I have replaced the air intake hose, vacuum hoses, TPS, spark plugs, and I have tested the EGR, MAP, and TPS and they all tested perfect. I also pulled the ECT while the car was running and it got worse. Plz, anymore suggestions?
Thursday, October 16th, 2014 AT 12:12 PM
DUKESILVER
Also is there a way to check the (IAC) without replacing it?
Thursday, October 16th, 2014 AT 12:13 PM
The pending 303 just indicates the code has been there. The problem is still related to the same cylinder. As far as the IAC, if you remove it and have someone cycle the key on and off, you should see the pintel move.

Since the code is still the same, you have replaced many parts including plugs, I question the following:

Plug wires
coil
fuel injector
cylinder 3 compression
Thursday, October 16th, 2014 AT 6:41 PM
DUKESILVER
I finally got the small 1" piece of boot that was stuck on top of cylinder 1 spark plug. So I changed cylinder 1 spark plug and replaced the EGR modulator. Also noticed spark in the wires last night so I replaced the spark plug wires too. After this the car finally is back to semi-normal. There is no more loping or sputtering but the idle was still pretty high, around 2000rpm. I drove it down the block and back and it seemed to go away, however when the car is in Neutral the car idles little higher, around 1300rpm. And also if I turn the a/c on, and the car is in Neutral it will idle higher too, around 1300-1500rpm. Any suggestions on the high idle? And by the way, I really appreciate the help and suggestions, you guys have been a tremendous help and my wife and I cant thank you enough.
Friday, October 17th, 2014 AT 2:09 PM
Hi:
I'm glad to help. If you were seeing sparks from the plug wires, they were bad. As far as the idle, double check for vacuum leaks and again the idle air control valve.
Friday, October 17th, 2014 AT 5:27 PM