96 WITH 142K MILES, HARD GAS PEDAL AND ROUGH GEAR CHANGES

1996 Honda Accord

akshayvajpayee

June, 7, 2014 AT 7:48 AM

Hi,
I recently bought an old Honda Accord, since I have bought it I have noticed that the gas pedal is really hard to press (compared to my friend's old camry), I tried moving the throttle body knob (to check if it was the throttle cable causing trouble) and it felt pretty tight as well (almost hard to move by hand). But more importantly, all my gear changes are harsh and I feel the jerk whenever the gear shifts up or down. Also the acceleration is erratic sometimes. Fluid level is good in the tranny as well as the color is very clean (its honda atf z1). Initially the acceleration was pretty bad from the standstill hence I cleaned the throttle body- acceleration is much better now but the gear shifts are still hard and it hesitates to change gears. : (
What should I check, dunno but I feel (and hope) its not the tranny that is bad

hmac300

June, 9, 2014 AT 7:02 AM

Check to see if the cable is sticking for one, check trans fluid if dark brown black see a trans guy. Check for vacuum leaks.