CAR A/C THERMOSTAT ADJUSTMENT-EFFECT ON CAR MILEAGE

2011 Hyundai i20

navtracks

May, 6, 2011 AT 3:14 PM

Hi there! I have bought a new hyundai i20 diesel in India, within 2days I have noticed that a/c is not efficient.I have gone to the service center and got it fixed. But after that my car mpg has got drastically come down and when I required, the workshop guys told me they have not touched any part of engine but only adjusted THERMOSTAT of the air conditioning system. Here I would like to know Whether by adjusting the car thermostat to a lower level, is there a chance of losing on MPG?

Thermostat

Thermostat

May, 6, 2011 AT 8:32 PM

When the compressor is working, it would put additional load on the engine and that would definitely increase the fuel consumption. Futrhermore being a low powered engine, the difference could be more than others but you should not be experiencing more than a few % difference. However driving and road conditions makes a lot of difference with the additional load on the low powered engine running the A/C.

Previously when A/C was not that efficitn, the compressor would be working less of the time and now it has to work for longer periods so some increase in fuel consumption is expected.

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230