Leaking water on passenger side?

JRCPRO
  • 2010 CHEVROLET COBALT
I have a water leak on the passenger side when I run the A/C, I need to know where the drain is, I cannot locate any hoses, I did find a plastic drain type thing coming out of the firewall on the passenger side where I think the evaporator is located, any help will go a long way, really don't want to send it to a shop and pay out the rear for a simple fix. Thanks
Sunday, June 21st, 2015 AT 1:38 PM

RACEFAN966
There is a TBS on this here it is with instructions on how to fix it below.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No: 09-01-37-002E

Date: November 01, 2011

Subject: Water Leak into Front and Rear Passenger Floor and/or Carpet Wet (Inspect White Plug in HVAC Evaporator Drain and Apply Sealer to Front of Dash Area)

Models:
2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2008-2011 Chevrolet HHR
2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu
2008-2009 Pontiac G6
2008-2010 Pontiac G5
2008-2009 Saturn AURA

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-01-37-002D (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the front and rear floor carpet is wet on the passenger side.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a plugged HVAC evaporator Drain. In some cases, water from the HVAC system will drain back though the front of the dash.

Correction

Note
Reposition of the heat shield is not necessary on a Cobalt and HHR.

1. Verify the customer's concern. If there is water on the passenger side front floor area, raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.

2. Inspect the operation of the drain.

Note
Make sure that small debris is not plugging up the drain.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
-1
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 AT 7:23 AM
JRCPRO
Thanks, this fixed it, I love this site, how can it be free?
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 AT 2:19 PM
MOORESD
  • 2009 CHEVROLET COBALT
When I turn on the air conditioner there is water leaking inside the car. The water is leaking from under the glove compartment. Can someone help me please?
Tuesday, July 28th, 2020 AT 2:25 PM (Merged)
There is a drain that runs from under the dash to under the hood on the firewall. It must be plugged. It will be a rubber hose about 3/4" in diameter. Check where it is closest to the road for being plugged with dirt.

This video will help

https://youtu.be/q9_MZiS2_NE
+1
SSCHAROLD
  • 2006 CHEVROLET COBALT
Air conditioning started leaking clear water into the floor board. Comming form the ac blower, what is the cause of this and is it an easy fix. Some thing I can do myself or do I need take it to a shop.
Tuesday, July 28th, 2020 AT 2:32 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Ur a/c drain is clogged and ur hvac box is full of water. Easy fix go under the hood and look at the fire wall u will see the drain its just a hole get a metal coat hanger make something out of it to get and there and clean the drain then stand back and let the flood come. Hope this helps.
Louie
+1
HABADO
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
2005 Chevy Cobalt

water is leaking on the passenger side floor from under the glove box area, maybe from the air cond.
DOCFIXIT
Hi
The condensate drain is blocked. Look out in engine compartment along passenger side bulkhead small tube protruding. Take a wire clean it out.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
KDUHON_07
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
My car is leaking alot water into my passenger seat floor board. The coolant has NOT been running hot, the antifreeze and water are at the same level as it was when I checked it I went and had the air conditioning thing that leaks water onto the ground blown out incase that it was stopped up or something but that didnt fix it. Please help dont know what it could be.
2CEXPT
Hi kduhon_07, Welcome to 2carpros

If its not coolant and from the rain thru the windshield its time to open it up and investigate-the AC drainage is still clogged-up and backing it up
JERRYY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
My air conditioner keeps leaking on the passenger side floorboard what can I do to fix this problem. There water leaking everytime I turn the AC off or on the water leaks down the passenger side is this an occurrence problem with these type of model cardsif so can you give can you provide me with a solution of of how I can fix the problem and the steps I need to take oh where do I have to look 4 thank you very much for your time in this matter
DOCFIXIT
Locate drain tube on bulkhead below where heater hoses and AC lines attach. Use small wire to probe and cleanout. Here is a video to help with diagrams below.

https://youtu.be/q9_MZiS2_NE

CSPINK
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
When I run the ac in my car I get a big puddle of water on the passenger side floor board. Everyone said the drain was plugged, service dept. Said it wasn't. What could it be and how do I fix it?
+1
Tuesday, July 28th, 2020 AT 2:33 PM (Merged)
BRIAN 1
Follow this info, Some customers may comment on water leaking on the front passenger side floor of the vehicle. This leak would occur under high ambient temperatures and high humidity situations when the customer has the air conditioning on high. Leaks will appear to be coming from the HVAC module where the heater core cover and lower case come together. Also, some customers may comment on water droplets blowing out of the vents when the A/C is on high.

Cause
This condition may be due to water condensing in the HVAC case that adheres to the upper surface in the tongue and groove area of the lower case and then leaking out.

Correction
Install the foam gasket between the heater core cover and the lower HVAC case at the location of the leak. Post back with any other questions
-2

Sponsored links