2009 Dodge Nitro 3.7 firing order

TCOLEMAN
  • 2009 DODGE NITRO
Engine is misfiring, check engine code said cylinder 5, prob ignition coil and would like to change the coil but I cannot locate the cylinder numbers do you have a diagram so I can locate the correct coil?
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 5:36 PM

I am going to try to attach a pic, but it may not work. However, looking from the front of the engine, the right side of the engine are cylinders 1, 3, 5. The left are 2, 4, 6. Basically, since the engine is transverse, the last cylinder on the side of the engine which faces the radiator is the #5 cylinder. It will be the closest to where the transmission mounts.
+3
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 5:59 PM
Great. It did send. Let me know if you have other questions.
+2
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 6:00 PM
TCOLEMAN
OK got most of it, so when looking at the engine from front of the vehicle # 5 is on the right side, is it closest to the back or front of the engine compartment? I changed the coil closest to the back, but am still getting the misfire . Did I change the wrong coil or could it be defective? Should I also change the spark plug? Thanks
+1
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 6:16 PM
The front of the engine is where the serp belt is located. It sounds like you got the right one, but if you still have the misfire, you should replace the plug. Also, when the plug is out, check to see if it is wet with fuel and if there is spark to it. You may have a plugged fuel injector or no power to it. If that isn't the case and you are getting spark and fuel, we will need to check compression.
+1
Sunday, October 5th, 2014 AT 8:37 PM
SILVER WRENCH
Is the ignition coil a two pack coil as in does it control the cylinder parallel to the cylinder it's on top of?
Monday, February 27th, 2017 AT 6:52 AM
KEN
No, it fires the related piston follow the plug wire to the spark plug which should tell you which cylinder is firing.

Best, Ken
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 11:35 AM