JOLTS WHILE ACCELERATING?

2008 Vauxhall Corsa

Chris145

May, 30, 2012 AT 12:34 PM

Hi there,

While driving my car sometimes jolts while accelerating, kind of like it suddenly gets caught on something for a split second. You can hear a clunk when it happens. It only does it while accelerating, and is completely smooth when at a constant speed. The RPM do not increase over the clunk, the car just gets stuck for half a second and continues.

(Unsure if relevant but the car has a lumpy idle when air cons on and is sometimes slightly lumpy in 1st when cold although I guess thats something else)

Any idea what this is?

Thanks : )

Engine Miss

May, 30, 2012 AT 1:31 PM

Sounds like a misfiring. I wouls suggest checking the spark plugs and related components for a start.

Chris145

May, 30, 2012 AT 1:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention its a diesel as well. I'm not too up on repairs, and the car has a 3 month warranty from the dealer, however as the fault is intermittent, it may not show up when I take it to them. Will an OBD II reader show a misfire, and if so how good are the cheap ones?

Thanks again.

Chris145

May, 30, 2012 AT 1:58 PM

Also, the engine management light hasn't come on.

May, 30, 2012 AT 2:57 PM

For intermittent problems, fault codes might be triggered but not show with the MIL and there is no harm getting it checked. Since there is a warranty on the vehicle, make a report and get the dealer to check it. If the problem does not surface now, it could later and you have something to fall back on when it has been previously reported.

Have the fuel filter checked.