Vauxhall Corsa jolts while accelerating?

CHRIS145
  • 2008 VAUXHALL CORSA

Hi there,

While driving my car sometimes jolts while accelerating, kind of like it suddenly gets caught on something for a split second. You can hear a clunk when it happens. It only does it while accelerating, and is completely smooth when at a constant speed. The RPM do not increase over the clunk, the car just gets stuck for half a second and continues.

(Unsure if relevant but the car has a lumpy idle when air cons on and is sometimes slightly lumpy in 1st when cold although I guess thats something else)

Any idea what this is?

Thanks :)

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 12:34 PM

KHLOW2008

Sounds like a misfiring. I wouls suggest checking the spark plugs and related components for a start.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 1:31 PM
CHRIS145

Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention its a diesel as well. I'm not too up on repairs, and the car has a 3 month warranty from the dealer, however as the fault is intermittent, it may not show up when I take it to them. Will an OBD II reader show a misfire, and if so how good are the cheap ones?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 1:55 PM
CHRIS145

Also, the engine management light hasn't come on.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 1:58 PM
KHLOW2008

For intermittent problems, fault codes might be triggered but not show with the MIL and there is no harm getting it checked. Since there is a warranty on the vehicle, make a report and get the dealer to check it. If the problem does not surface now, it could later and you have something to fall back on when it has been previously reported.

Have the fuel filter checked.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 2:57 PM