NOT CHARGING

2008 Ford Ranger

jordan78

March, 20, 2013 AT 5:22 PM

Not charging. Replaced alt and battery. Fuses look good and ground. I measured 12v at both red wires on alt. Main and one in 3wire harness.

hmac300

March, 20, 2013 AT 5:28 PM

Here's a tip.
Have had several 07 to 09 rangers 4.0 no charge conditition fuse link feed wire rubbed in two by plastic inner fender under battery box
that may be your problem. It cuts the voltage down an dalternator won't charge. There are three so check all three two should be on relay pic included.

jordan78

March, 20, 2013 AT 7:50 PM

So I have located two links (labelled as links) red power from battery to fuse panel to link and turns into blue w/green stripe. I probed either side with buzzer and got power both sides of it. Also probed red wire (smaller) bothsides of link red to wire/brown. Cant locate the other link. Is probing for power on either side good enough?

hmac300

March, 20, 2013 AT 7:52 PM

Theother linkis under the battery box rubs oninner fender well re read the tip and yes a test light or volt meter is better

jordan78

March, 20, 2013 AT 7:56 PM

Are you referring to battery box as fuse panel area or actually under battery

hmac300

March, 20, 2013 AT 7:58 PM

Under the battery box like it says.

jordan78

March, 20, 2013 AT 8:31 PM

In this case no wires run under any box cant not see anything damaged. Anywhere. Found third link and measured power on either end of all three. All good! When the vehicle first came it wasnt charging. My assistant tooki it out and charged it. I installed the next day and battery was taking a charge fine, ran for 2-3 days and now no charge. Thats when I installed new alt.

jordan78

March, 20, 2013 AT 9:04 PM

I have power to alt and power to the red wire located in the three wire plug on alt. Should there not be power to another wire while its running. Like an output of power. Sorry not the greatest at this stuff

hmac300

March, 20, 2013 AT 9:50 PM

Have a pro look at thisyou should have battery voltage at both red sconnections at alternator. You aren't understanding at all. The battery HAS to be reomved andprobably battery box and the link has to be looked at for being rubbed off.

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue