2008 Ford Edge Oxygen Sensor

SC_DAVIS
  • 2008 FORD EDGE
I'm getting a P2272 code saying that the bank 2 sensor 2 is stuck in a lean condition. Where is this sensor located? Is it the sensor that is bad or could it be another problem causing this code? What are the steps to trouble shoot the problem?
Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 5:44 AM

RACEFAN966
Yes that tells me the O2 sensor is bad, so bank 2 sensor 2, it is on the drivers side behind the cat screwed into the exhaust pipe. Should be able to buy it at your local parts store.
+1
Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 7:16 AM
SC_DAVIS
When you say driver's side, is that the side next to the firewall or the side at the front of the engine compartment?
Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 10:10 PM
RACEFAN966
If you are looking at the front of the engine (where the drive belt is) then it will be on your right. Hope that helps let me know how it all goes ok. After replacing the sensor you will have to clear the code for the engine light to go off ok.
+2
Saturday, June 15th, 2013 AT 6:45 AM
SC_DAVIS
But the Edge has a transverse mounted engine and the oxygen sensors are located in front of the engine (radiator side) or behind the engine (firewall side)?
+2
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 10:25 PM
RACEFAN966
I understand that that is why I said it you are looking at the engine the front is the side where the drive (fan) belt is it will be on your right side, if I remember correctly that should be the front (radiator side) it will the one behind the cat converter.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 9:17 PM
GMAN97005
Okay, on front wheel drive engine you would stand at the right front fender looking down at the engine, the left bank is between the engine and the firewall while the right bank is between the engine and core support, same with the fuel injectors left and right bank.
So bank 2 sensor 2 is located between the engine and core support, the sensor in question is after the oxidizing converter.
Your vehicle uses OBD II and utilizes 2 catalytic converters and 2 oxygen sensors on each bank of cylinders with the front converter being the pre-cat which does the majority of scrubbing, the second cat is the oxidizing converter which further reduces harmful emissions by injecting air into the catalyst, this what they call a 3-way converter with AIR or 3-way w/AIR, AIR stands for Air Injection Reactor.
The ECM is setting a lean-condition code for bank 2 sensor 2 so we need to find out why it is setting the lean code, right?
Lean by definition means less air being mixed with the fuel but if this was the case the 1st O2 sensor or sensor 1 would have detected the lean condition and adjusted the mixture for that bank of cylinders but it didn't so the problem is further down the line.
Since it is after the pre-cat we can eliminate that and move a little further down the oxidizing cat which has an air-tube connected to it because ii is 3-way with/AIR, so my guess would be an exhaust leak after the pre-cat but before the oxidizing cat, start there and work your way up the air tube to the diverter valve and then across to the back of both exhaust manifolds looking for rust or something else that could be allowing air to leak into or out of that pipe.
As a final thought the problem could be as simple as replacing the O2 sensor but I want to break you of that habit and stop throwing money at it hoping you hit the jackpot. Buy a $25 multimeter with 10 meg ohm input and simply diagnose the O2 sensor, set the multimeter to 1V DC and measure the voltage being produced by the O2 sensor, the voltage from the O2 sensor ranges from 0 to 1 volt and I am not sure if the voltage should remain constant at 450 millivolts or fluctuate between 450 - 950 millivolts.

Best Wishes, gman
Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 AT 1:38 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok
-1
Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 8:09 AM