TURBO

2008 Citroen C5

Mandy Furey

October, 26, 2011 AT 5:28 PM

I have a 2008 citroen C5, depolution system fault made car stall on several occasions, we brought the car to a main dealer on 2 occasions where we were charged €156 and the second time we were sent away and told nothing was wrong. Turbo has gone now in the car and steel foilings have apparently gone in to engine, we have been advised that engine needs to be stripped and cleaned and new turbo fitted another garage has said to replace turbo, flush engine and take a chance, what would you advise? Also, should we be liable in your opinion in a 3 year old car for repair costs estimated at €4000?

hmac300

October, 27, 2011 AT 1:45 PM

We have no info on this car, but from what you describe i'd go with what the last garage has said, flush the engine and put a new/used turbo on it and take the chance. Alot of times when aturbo fails, some pieces will go out the exaust and very few gointo the engine. So i'd try that. YOu might try to find a used turbo to save costs. Also i'dhighly reccomend using synthetic oil with this due to heat in turbo.

Mandy Furey

October, 27, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

I really appreciate your advice, it has really helped us to decide what route to take. Thanks again.

hmac300

October, 27, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention, make absolutely sure when teh old turbo is pulled off that the engine is cranked that particles if in the piston area are either sucked out with a vacuum cleaner or blown out by compression. You don' t want that crap going into the new/used turbo blades as it could damage them. Then you would have the same problem. If you can you might look in a junkyard/wrecking yard for a used turbo, it may be cheaper and you may get one that has less mileage adn still in good shape. But again I can't stress enough to use synthetic oil in these vehicles, the turbo spins very fast and builds up a lot of heat. Also when you shut the car off just don't turn it off, let it idle down for a minute or so so the turbo can slow down if at all possible.