HOW DO I CHECK THE FLUID IN A 2008 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.8L VAN?

• timdeaton
  • 2008 Chrysler Town and Country

How do I check the fluid in a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L van?

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:08 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Which fluid are you checking? There is brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant.

Let me know if you are looking for a specific one.

-3
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:10 PM
  • timdeaton

I am an idiot! Transmission fluid.

+7
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:25 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Not a problem (lol). Facing the front of the vehicle, the transmission dip stick is on the right side close to the front. When checking it, the engine needs to be at operating temperature and the vehicle needs to be on a flat surface. Transmission fluid should be red in color. If it is brown or discolored, it should be serviced.

If you have other questions, let me know.

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:39 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I forgot to mention. When you check the fluid, the engine needs to be running and the transmission needs to be in park. If you need to add fluid, look on the dipstick to identify the proper type for your vehicle.

-1
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:45 PM
  • timdeaton

These vehicles are not supplied with a dip stick. There is a small 'fill tube' that extends into the transmission with plug marked "Dealer Use Only". Allegedly there is a check plug at some point on the transmission so that one could determine the level of fluid without going to the dealer. It may be under a shield on the front of the transmission; however that shield can only be removed by unplugging the electric/electronic connector that controls the transmission, removing four jamb nuts and assorted other paraphernalia. I have been unable to locate anything that appears to be a check plug - I have jacked the van up, crawled under it and run my hands all over the transmission at this point.
Has anyone actually found one and been able to check the fluid levels?

+5
Saturday, September 24th, 2011 AT 1:15 PM
  • Chuck75

Yes I have a 2008 Town & Country also, and I am very good on working on cars! But there is no dipstick. So how do you check the level? Also what type of fluid do you put in? I was guessing ATF+4?

Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 AT 12:37 PM
  • Chuck75

Also what is the reasoning behind having no dip stick, and instead a cap over it saying dealer use only. Are they just after a person taking in the vehicle every 50,000 miles or can a person maintenance on there own?

Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 AT 12:40 PM