CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit

tkorman

December, 8, 2010 AT 11:04 PM

On my vw rabbit 07 the check engine light came on. The code that came up is p0171 what is it and how should I fix it. Also the RPMS rise up and down when I have the clutch in when im at a stop or just rolling

mhpautos

December, 9, 2010 AT 10:25 AM

Technical DescriptionSystem Too Lean (Bank 1)

What does that mean?Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

SymptomsYou will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

CausesA code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible SolutionsPossible solutions include: In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

Information source OBDCODES. COM

mark (mhpautos)