Saturn Vue

RDOYLE
  • 2007 SATURN VUE
2007 Saturn Vue with a V6. There are two fans behind the radiator which continue to run after car is turned off. I have gone inside to come out an hour later to hear them turn on, then turn off or I will get out of the vehicle after stopping and turning the engine off and hear them continue to run. Today walked out to a dead battery for the first time, put a portable charger on it, and fans turned on. Could not get it to turn over on the small portable because fans were pulling all of the juice. Eventually jumped it with another vehicle, drove it with two stops. No problem yet.
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 9:41 PM

WRENCHTECH
There are 3 relays that control the various speeds. Apparently one of them is sticking on. 2 of them are in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. When they stick on I would try removing them one at a time and see if one of them shuts the fans off.
+2
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 10:43 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add a little on this diagnoses I would see if you have any fan code's here is the trouble tree for fans staying wrenchtech is right though remove the relay's one at a time and see if the fan's stop to see if there is a faulty relay.I posted a diagram showing you where the three relay's are the second diagram that show's the front of a vue the relay is call out number 3. Here is the trouble tree let me know what you find.
Cooling Fan Always On (3.5L)

Diagnostic Instructions

* Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview Diagnostic Starting Point - Vehicle
* Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
* Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Circuit/System Description

The powertrain control module (PCM) commands the fans ON in high speed or low speed. In low speed, the fans are configured in series. In high speed, the fans are configured in parallel.

In low speed operation, the PCM applies ground to the coil side of the low speed relay. Voltage is applied directly to the left cooling fan through the switch side of the low speed relay. The right fan is connected in series to the left fan through the de-energized series/parallel relay so that both fans operate at low speed.

In high speed operation, the PCM applies a ground to the coil side of the low speed relay, the series/parallel relay, and the high speed relay. Voltage is applied directly to the right cooling fan through the switch side of the high speed relay. The left cooling fan obtains voltage through the low speed relay and ground through the series/parallel relay.

When the PCM is commanding a fan relay ON, the voltage of the control circuit should be low, near 0 volts. When the PCM is commanding a fan relay OFF, the voltage of the control circuit should be high, near battery voltage. If the PCM detects that the actual voltage of the relay control circuit is different than the expected voltage, DTC P0480 or P0481 will set and the affected PCM driver will be disabled.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Engine Cooling Schematics

Connector End View Reference

* Cooling System Component Views
* Cooling System Connector End Views
* Powertrain Control Module Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Cooling Fan Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

* Circuit Testing
* Connector Repairs
* Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
* Wiring Repairs

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

* Scan Tool Data List
* Scan Tool Data Definitions
* Scan Tool Output Controls

Circuit/System Verification

1. Verify that the following DTCs are not set: P0480, P0481.

O If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

2. Ignition ON, verify with a scan tool that the PCM is not commanding fan activation.
3. Ignition ON, observe that the fans are not activated.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the relays.
2. Ignition ON, observe that the fans are not activated.

O If the fans are not activated, replace the faulty relay.
O If a fan is activated, test the fan voltage supply circuits for a short to voltage.

Repair Instructions

* Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement (L61) Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement (L66) Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement (LAT)
* Engine Cooling Fan Replacement (L66)
* Powertrain Control Module Replacement

Repair Verification

1. Ignition ON, verify with a scan tool that the PCM is not commanding fan activation.
2. Ignition ON, observe that the fan is not activated.
+2
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 1:17 AM