ENGINE VALVE SPRINGS

2007 Lexus LS

amanderu

November, 18, 2010 AT 4:23 PM

Can engine valve spring defects result in a bent conrod? My car was being recalled for engine valve spring defects. As the car was in the garage, I was told that one of the piston's conrod was bent by water ingression (hydraulic lock?), But not related to the springs defects, so I have to pay for the engine repair of more than £8000.
Is it possible that the spring defects may be the cause of the bent conrod?

Thanks for the help!

Ernest Clark

November, 18, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

Yes, your connecting rod can get bent from bad valve springs, but it's unlikely. And you should've asked the technician how did he know your rod was bent due to Hydro lock?

When valve springs go bad they allow the valve to float, which hits the top of the piston at top dead center. Most times it will punch a whole in the piston and sometimes break the head of the valve off. If your engine was revving at high rpms when this occurred, then it is possible the rod would get bent. But there would have to be evidence of this happening inside of the cylinder. (Broke valve head, damaged piston/cylinder walls, etc.)

Docfixit

November, 18, 2010 AT 4:34 PM

For hydro lock to occure car would need to have been driven through standing wter deep enough to enter air intake and into engine. Car would stop running at that time. If this did not happen then Dealer trying to get some cash. If valve spring broke as to reason for recall then valve would drop into cylinder and damage piston and/or rod. Again engine would stop immediately. Did this happen? Ask for a service representive from Lexus to look into claim.

amanderu

November, 18, 2010 AT 4:44 PM

The technician claimed that there were water in the lower engine compartment. The car was still running, although with a lot of shudders, when delivered to the garage. The rough engine performance was described in the recall letter by Lexus.

legitimate007

November, 18, 2010 AT 4:47 PM

Bent valves, hole in the rocker arm etc I agree.

amanderu

November, 18, 2010 AT 5:02 PM

Thank you all very much for the input. I will look into speaking to Lexus reps immediately.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang