THE REAR END OF MY CAR SLIDES OUT

2007 Ford Fusion

christopherjohn1234

December, 6, 2011 AT 1:55 AM

Whenever I hit a puddle or am driving in the snow especially the rear end of my car sways around I dont know what could be making this happen possibly I need a rear end alignment or new shocks and struts

Front Shocks

1 ANSWER

Rear Shock

1 ANSWER

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2011 AT 2:22 AM

Ford has always built their front-wheel-drive cars with messed up alignment that creates a real smooth ride at the huge expense of tire wear. Good ride quality sells new cars. They don't care about tire wear later. The place to start is by having the rear tire wear inspected at a tire and alignment shop. They may also have aftermarket kits available that allow some alignment correction to improve tire wear. Uneven tire wear can be the result of the two tires steering in different directions, and it can CAUSE tires to try to go in different directions. The car will typically follow the tire with the most weight on it and the other one will slide along. When that tire with the most traction suddenly hits water, snow, or even a pot hole, the car will momentarily follow the other tire. That creates a very unstable and irritating feeling. Some Ford front-wheel-drive cars will wear out a pair of tires in as little as 15,000 miles. Your mechanic will be able to show you any tire wear and explain it further.

christopherjohn1234

December, 6, 2011 AT 2:38 AM

My uncle owns a shop I will take it to him and see what he has to say

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

Suspension parts should be inspected too. Front steering parts were a really huge problem on the '80s Escorts and Tempos. Outer tie rod ends typically lasted less than 25,000 miles, but I haven't heard of any similar problems with the parts on your car. 53,000 miles is normally too soon to be finding worn parts. Let me know what they find.

ProAutoTech

December, 6, 2011 AT 4:22 AM

Yup, those cars look sporty and kinda euro, but they're actually really cheap when it comes to suspension. I see those cars every day on the road trying to hot rod, and most of them probably don't know they're tsking three wheeled turns. The inside wheel actually lift off the ground. I'm not sure what you can do without investing a bunch into uprgraded suspension, but there may not be anything wrong with your car other than it being a Ford Fusion. I would suggest adding more weight to the back of the car to see if it makes a difference. Especially in snow. Does it do this with people (adults) in the back as well? Let me know. Thanks!

christopherjohn1234

December, 6, 2011 AT 10:23 AM

I have like 150 lbs in the trunk with speakers and I never really ride with a whole car full so its hard to say

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

Sorry to read you're hard-of-hearing. I have a deaf friend who comes over on weekends to fix tvs so I know what it's like. I know a few signs but mostly we have to write notes back and forth. It takes longer to explain what I want him to do than if I did it myself, but it gives him something to occupy a little of his time. Funny thing is he IS pretty good at diagnosing "no-sound" problems. I can't take credit for that.

Anyhow, holler back when you find the solution to your handling problem.

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars