THE CAR WAS IN DRIVE, STEPPED ON GAS PEDAL AND CAR WENT INTO REVERSE. CAN YOU HELP?

2007 Dodge Durango

nevaeh0830

May, 11, 2012 AT 1:35 PM

Today I was in line coming up to a stop sign. The car in front of me stopped so I did. When the car moved up, I let off the break and hit the gas only it began to reverse. I put it in park and back into drive, stepped on the gas pedal and again went into reverse. It was not until I turned my car on and off did it work fine. Help!

promechanic

May, 11, 2012 AT 1:37 PM

This is a strange problem. It sounds like it might have something to do with the transmission computer or one of it's sensors.
I would have the codes read first, then get it to a repair shop that can work on transmissions.

nevaeh0830

May, 11, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

Does it sound like something minor? I have also noticed when I am in park my rpm's will go up and down slightly. It sounds like I'm revving my engine up and my foots not on the gas. My car has 78,000 miles on it.

promechanic

May, 11, 2012 AT 1:45 PM

There is just no way to know how serious it is. I think it is probably not an internal transmission problem so that is good. If it is a computer or sensor or wiring problem then it should not be too expensive.

nevaeh0830

May, 11, 2012 AT 1:46 PM

Thanks. Appreciate it!

May, 11, 2012 AT 2:32 PM

ON SOME VEHICLES THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR ALSO HELPS OPERATE THE TRANNY

A TRANNY MAN THAT I SOMETIMES VISIT SAYS THAT HE AND OTHER SHOPS HAVE PULLED THEIR HAIR OUT LOOKING FOR A PROBLEM IN THE TRANNY, WHEN THE WHOLE TIME IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE TPS. DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS USEFUL TO YOU OR NOT, BUT THE TPS MIGHT COULD BE A COMMON FACTOR WITH YOUR REVVING AND TRANNY

I'M A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY AND SELDOM DEAL WITH THE NEWER STUFF.I DO TRY TO SHARE ANY INFO THAT MIGHT HELP SOMEONE