Alternator Charging System problem

JERRY32
  • 2006 NISSAN MURANO
I have the S model with approximately 66,000 miles.
For the last month or so it has not started at various times, not in the morning but after returning to the car from shopping or wherever, there would be no power, lights, radio, etc. When I opened the hood and would barely touch the battery connectors in case they might be loose, then closed the hood and got back in car lights were on, started right up, no problem. I just thought it was loose connections and would tighten them at home and thought that was the issue, until yesterday.
This time in parking lot same thing happened the car restarted but then stalled about ten seconds after driving. It restarted but seemed like power failure dashboard lights blinking like crazy, on and off. A bystander helped jump off car which took several tries finally from zero power, then to clicking then started and got home after one more episode with getting jumped off. I though the battery was totally dead as was several years old and decided to get new one with a little higher amps though in the back of my mind I knew alternator could be a possibility. But I installed the battery and it drove well a few miles, but decided to go back to auto store and get alternator tested as saw the sign for that, and the results are attached (hope you can view). The test showed: No voltage; drain test: 3.18A suspect. The guy called it a leak and said not just the bad alternator but something else making that electrical leak.

I asked if I should still drive and he advised maybe for two weeks then it would not be driveable. I guess meaning the alternator might be totally dead or maybe the new battery or not exactly sure.
Today while driving to drop off my kid I thought I might have felt a power loss just for a second while driving, but not sure as no lights came on just the feeling you get when you have stalled but it continued without hesitation to the house.
So just wondering what next step would be? Thanks so much!
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 5:49 AM

Double check all connections, clean and tight free of corrosion. See below.
+1
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 6:09 AM
CSMITH1967
I have a 2006 Murano. Battery is year and a half old. The other day I was driving and I noticed the red lights for battery and brakes were on. Car ran fine. Brake fluid was full. New brakes all around car in last two months.

So I am driving and the car seems to stall. I shift to neutral and tap the gas to make sure engine is off before I hit key. The engine revs fine. So I drop back into drive and car puts at 1,000 rpm. Barely creeps along.

I park it and go get trailer and jumper cables. I jump start it and charge battery for ten minutes then drive it onto trailer, no problems.

I get home and fully charge battery with charger. I use OBD II tester and get PO420 code. Emissions system?

I use alternator check function on my battery charger and it says "alternator check - alternator voltage bad."

So I am thinking the PO420 code is not related. Alternator bad? Bad connection? Car has 170,000 miles on it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Craig
Thursday, June 14th, 2018 AT 6:41 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi Craig,
The problem could be related but the main cause should be the failed alternator.

Insufficient battery voltage due to improper charging could cause sensors to provide wrong information to the computer.

Have the charging problem rectified, clear the codes and go for a test drive. If trouble does not come back, you are good.

K H Low
Saturday, June 16th, 2018 AT 11:11 PM