OBD CODE OF P0130 O2 SENSOR BANK 1 SENSOR 1 IS ...

2006 Kia Optima

echomolo

March, 22, 2013 AT 3:07 PM

OBD code of P0130, O2 Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the active code. The sensor was replaced and the check engine light with the same code came on the next day. The repair shop said to come in and they reset the code three times. A week later the same P0130 code is back. The repair shop said to come in and they will turn the light off again. Seems like troubleshooting to find out what is making the light come on is the 1st step. Printed out the ODB II P0130 code possible causes and showed that to the shop foreman. He said to disconnect the battery overnight, touch terminals, reconnect the battery and drive at 50 mph for 5 miles. Basically, reset the OBD code and see if it comes back on. What would you suggest as the steps to troubleshoot this ongoing problem? I also found reference to Kia TSB-053 to upgrade the ecu DST code for P0130. Can this be done by a repair shop or does it have to be done at a dealer?
TSB-053 Summary: Kia: ecm upgrade-dtc p0130 and p0150 on 2. 7l engine equipped. Provides information related to a ecm software upgrade of some model year 2005-2006 vehicles equipped with 2. 7l engines which may experience a malfunction indicator lamp illumi
Thank you!

hmac300

March, 22, 2013 AT 4:32 PM

Just because that is the code you get doesn't actually mean that is the problem that is what is so screwy with todays cars. Normally ecm upgrades are done by a dealer and may or maynot have a charge depending if you car fits the criteria of what the tsb is for. Meaning if it was built during the timeframe or not. Only thing to do is see if your car fits the upgrade and if it does have it done otherwise it can be a bad connection/short, etc.

echomolo

March, 22, 2013 AT 9:37 PM

I printed the OBD code info to see what the possible causes might be. Replace O2 sensor is main suggested cause but it also shows how to troubleshoot to verify the sensor is the problem. I realize some shops throw parts at the issue rather than troubleshoot to determine the actual cause. I'm concerned this may be happening since the shop's reply when I called to tell them the code was back on was to come in and they will turn the code off again. That's NOT the answer. They did say they went thru all the troubleshooting tests to verify the sensor was indeed bad and used an OEM part. If so, what is the next step to determine the actual cause?

March, 23, 2013 AT 2:58 PM

You are correct. The shop does not want to deal with the issue as they cannot do the correct check procedure. Stop messing around with this shop and take it to a real shop that will properly diag it for you and repair it correctly