RADIATOR/THERMOSTAT

2006 Jeep Wrangler

Susan Myers

February, 7, 2011 AT 1:50 AM

I need a new radiator. Was told I should also replace the thermostat "just in case". Costs a lot more. Is this necessary or a scam?

Cooling Fan Problem

Radiator On

1 ANSWER

February, 7, 2011 AT 2:47 AM

A THERMOSTAT OVER THE COUNTER AT AUTOZONE AND 6 CYLINDER, YOUR ENGINE IS NOT IN THE INFO YOU PROVIDED)---IS $7.99,

IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR TOP RADIATOR HOSE TO THE ENGINE, THAT HOUSING HAS THE THERMOSTAT UNDER IT. I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT YOUR ENGINE, BUT USUALLY 2 BOLTS/ OR NUTS HOLD IT IN PLACE.

SO REALLY YOU NEED THE THERMOSTAT, A GASKET (PROBABLY LESS THAN $2)

ON MY CJ, IF I WAS TAKING MY TIME, I COULD REPLACE IT IN 15 MINUTES. YES, EVEN YOU COULD PERFORM THIS TASK, WITH THE HELP OF A CHILTON OR HAYNES MANUAL. OR EVEN HERE! I HAVE NOT INVESTIGATED THE ENTIRE SITE, IT JUST GOT REVAMPED RECENTLY, AND THERE IS A LOT OF "HOW TOs" THAT I HAVEN'T LOOKED AT!

WITHOUT KNOWING MUCH ABOUT YOUR "NEW JEEP"---I THINK YOU OR YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES COULD DO THE WHOLE JOB EZily WITH MINIMAL TOOLS---AT COST!

HECK, I JUST LOOKED UP THE RADIATOR (FOR A 6 CYLINDER) IT'S $174.99. AND THE LINK: I STARTED OUT WITH A CHILTON MANUAL FOR MY 1ST CJ 5 IN 1981MY 6 JEEPS SINCE HAVE NOT BEEN IN A SHOP SINCE 1987---EXCEPT FOR WHEEL ALIGNMENTS!

MY RADIATOR HAS 4 BOLTS HOLDING IT ON AND 2 HOSES CLAMPED ON ITYOURS MAY BE A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED, BUT NOT MUCH!

I/ WE WILL HELP YOU!

GO TO THE CJ 5 & 7 FORUMS, YOU WILL SEE, I SEND PICS, YOU CAN TOO, I TRY TO EXPLAIN AS IF YOU WERE IN THE 3RD GRADE (IF NEED-BE)

IT'S YOUR TURN,

WHADDA YOU THINK?

mechman67

February, 7, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

Agree with cj. But needing a new radiator in an 06 w/30,000 miles? Says who? Short of physical dammage. Get a second opinion.

February, 11, 2011 AT 9:36 PM

All Righty Then. Susan Myers,

We type in answers. Not to verify our keyboard works.

It's kinda like a Soap Opera for us, on this end!

We kinda wanna know what the next scene is!

Commercial is over!

What did you come up with!

We want to know!

Thanks,

The Medic

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill